1-603-569-HOLE (4653) • Store hours: Mon. - Sat.: 6am-6pm Sun.: 6am-2pm • See Map
Whether you are new to fishing or just haven’t been in a few years, it’s time to brush up on the basics. What will you need to get to replenish your summer fishing supplies? You can get a lot of essential items at bait and tackle stores in Wolfeboro before you head out to the lake. However, if you get to Lake Winnipesaukee and realize that you left something important at home, it is possible to rent tackle and even get boat rentals in Wolfeboro at Hole in the Wall.
So what goes in a tackle box? If you need some help figuring out what you need to get to have everything you’ll need to go fishing in New Hampshire, take a look at this list and then head down to your local Wolfeboro bait stores. The friendly staff and well stocked shelves of the Hole in the Wall on Main Street can help you be better prepared. We can also offer advice on the type of live bait, flies and lures that are getting the local fish biting. Even if you already have a well-stocked tackle box, it pays to stop in and see what’s new.
- Fishing Line – Chances are your fishing pole already has line, but it’s always a good idea to bring some extra line in case you need it. You never know when your line will get tangled up with another fisherman’s line or if you get your line caught on some muck in the bottom of the lake. There are many different types of fishing line. For best results, take a couple of different weights and check in at bait and tackle stores in Wolfeboro to see what the locals are using.
- Bobbers & Sinkers – One of the best tools in a fisherman’s tackle box bar none. Bobbers and sinkers are used together to help you know when a fish is biting on your line. When the fish bites on the hook, the bobber sinks. Once you see that bobber go under the water, you know it’s time to haul in your catch. There are different types of bobbers, but the ones that most people use are the round red-and-white variety. Sinkers are used in conjunction with a bobber to allow the hook and bait to sink down as far as it is able. Sinkers are made out of metal and come in a variety of weights and sizes. The traditional round bobber is somewhat limited as to how far down the hook can go in the water, so some fishermen use what is known as a slip bobber. It’s a bit of a hassle to get rigged up, but many feel that it is worth the extra trouble. Check them out when you stop by the Hole in the Wall for your summer fishing supplies.
- Hooks – Another tool that you can’t do without is the trusty hook. There are different types and sizes of hooks, based upon what you are trying to catch. It’s a good idea to have a variety of extra hooks in your tackle box so you won’t have to stop fishing in the middle of your day to stop by local Wolfeboro bait stores to buy another one. You also want to make sure you have the right size hook based on the type of fish that are currently biting at Lake Winnipesaukee during your trip. Ask the folks at the store where you get your boat rentals in Wolfeboro to be sure.
- Fake Bait – Chances are good that you are using live bait while fishing out on Lake Winnipesaukee, but if you get out on the water only to discover that all your night crawlers are dead or if you accidentally dump over your bait bucket full of minnows into the water, you are going to need something else. While many fishermen have gotten creative, fishing with pieces of cheese or sandwich, it is best to have some plastic worms and lures in your tackle box. Some fishermen even collect lures as a side hobby and bring their favorites out for special occasions. Visit bait and tackle stores in Wolfeboro for some great lures, flies and plastic worms.
- Tool Kit – In your tool kit you should have needle nose pliers for removing hooks from the fish that you catch, nail clippers or a line cutter in case you need to cut your losses when your line gets hung up on something, and a little first aid kit. In the first aid kit you should have bandages, medical tape, anti-bacterial wipes, alcohol swabs, Neosporin and some sunscreen. Keeping all of these items together can help you find what you need when you need it, especially if you are injured or are hanging onto a fish one-handed and trying to take care of things by yourself.
Hole in the Wall Bait & Tackle Store in Wolfeboro
If you are headed to New Hampshire for some fishing this summer, stop by one of the most popular Wolfeboro bait stores on Main Street. Hole in the Wall has a wide variety of summer fishing supplies, live bait, tackle rentals and boat rentals in Wolfeboro for tourists, fishing trips and locals alike. Give us a call at 603-569-HOLE (4653) to learn more about all of the products and services we provide or to put in a reservation for one of our popular boat rentals in Wolfeboro during your visit.